Northumberland Church of England Academy Trust comprises of three schools:
- Bishop’s Primary School
- Castle School
- Duke’s Secondary School
A statement of the Trust’s values is provided here: NCEA Values and Ethos
Our aim is to provide an inclusive and diverse learning environment for all of our students.
Values and Ethos
Enabling everyone in our community to let their light shine
A culture of learning, success, high expectations, aspiration, challenge and inclusion pervade all aspects of school life. This is reflected through the curriculum, the leadership and daily practices of pupils and staff, aspiring to be compassionate global citizens with a sense of community and social responsibility.
At the Trust we strive to:
- Provide a distinctively Christian inclusive and diverse learning environment which honours God. Every learner, adult and child here is enabled, nurtured and challenged to be the best they can be.
- Encourage staff and pupils to aspire to fullness of life [John 10:10] that they may achieve their full potential.
- Promote the spiritual, moral, social, cultural, personal and physical development of individuals within a Christian framework.
Sustain a community in which everyone is respected and valued.
Our Core Values are designed to help everyone to let their light shine [Matthew 5:16]:
Love: we care for each other and we help others do well. We have a concern for justice and for the vulnerable, especially those in need, [Mark 12:31, John 3:16, John 13:24-35, Romans 12:10, 1 Corinthians 13, 1 John 4:11]
Inclusivity: we are an open, welcoming and inclusive community that celebrates the worth of each person, and when necessary offers forgiveness and reconciliation too. [Matthew 6:12, Ephesians 4:2, Ephesians 4:32 ]
Goodness: we work hard and always seek to do what is right. We encourage one another to treat others as we would like to be treated, to do good and to serve others [Luke 6:31, Galatians 5:22, Hebrews 10: 24, 2 Peter 1:5 ]
Hope: we aspire to be the best we can be. We learn from our mistakes and try again with determination [Psalm 25:21, Psalm 31:24, Psalm 33:18 , Romans 15:4, Colossians 1:5 ]
Truth: we tell the truth and are true to our word. We take responsibility for what we think, say and do. We encourage integrity and respect for authority. [Proverbs 12:17, Mark 12:14, john 1:17, John 8:22, John 14:6 ]
The Trust aims to embed our values by providing a safe place where all can succeed through:
- An aspirational culture in which every member of the community desires to be the very best they can be.
- Ambition for every child to maximise their potential regardless of background. All learners seen and treated as individuals, with their individual learning needs met daily to ensure all succeed.
- A curriculum, with literacy and numeracy at it heart, that stretches, challenges, is relevant and provides opportunities to excel, develop skills for the world of work, and which is meaningful and purposeful.
- Every member of our community: parents, children and young people, staff and governors, setting the highest of expectations
- Teaching that excels in all areas, leading to the very best academic and vocational outcomes for every child and young person
- Behaviour that enables learning at the highest level to occur and which shows mutual respect for all, self-discipline and builds confidence in all.
- A culture of a healthy mind in a healthy body. All will be encouraged to participate in physical exercise and to develop a healthy lifestyle, develop team skills, and learn all aspects of healthy competition.
- A tradition that is respected and enables innovation, creativity and boldness.
The Trust’s Christian ethos is fundamental to all aspects of school life – where all are valued equally and included. All respected, nurtured, encouraged and enabled to achieve fullness of life.
The Trust is rigorously reflective and self-critical, reviewing its practices and seeking continually to improve what it does.
All the staff at the Trust are encouraged to be life-long learners in an engaging professional learning environment which is at the forefront of innovation and a centre of learning excellence.