During the period of national lockdown commencing from 05/01/2021, all NCEA Trust schools and campuses will only be open to the children of key workers who have no alternative means of childcare and to children and young people classified as vulnerable. All other children will learn remotely until the February half term.

Vulnerable children and young people include those who:

  • are assessed as being in need under section 17 of the Children Act 1989, including children and young people who have a child in need plan, a child protection plan or who are a looked-after child
  • have an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • have been identified as otherwise vulnerable by educational providers or local authorities (including children’s social care services), and who could therefore benefit from continued full-time attendance, this might include:
    • – children and young people on the edge of receiving support from children’s social care services or in the process of being referred to children’s services
      – adopted children or children on a special guardianship order
      – those at risk of becoming NEET (‘not in employment, education or training’)
      – those living in temporary accommodation
      – those who are young carers
      – those who may have difficulty engaging with remote education at home (for example due to a lack of devices or quiet space to study)
      – care leavers
      – others at the provider and local authority’s discretion including pupils and students who need to attend to receive support or manage risks to their mental health

    Critical or ‘key’ workers are defined by Government as:

    Parents whose work is critical to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and EU transition response include those who work in health and social care and in other key sectors such as:

    • Education and childcare
    • Key public services
    • Local and national government
    • Food and other necessary goods
    • Public safety and national security
    • Transport and border
    • Utilities, communication and financial services

    For more detailed definitions, visit www.gov.uk.