School governors and trustees have three core functions:
• Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
• Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
• Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well
LATEST NEWS! Warkworth CofE Primary School joins the Trust
Trustees are delighted to welcome Warkworth CofE Primary School as a new member of the NCEA family of schools as of 1 September 2020.
Warkworth will continue to operate as a separate primary school and will not become part of Bishop’s or a feeder school for Duke’s, so there will be no changes to admissions for Warkworth or the other NCEAT schools as a result.
Mr Hardie commented: “Warkworth is a highly successful and popular school at the heart of its local community. As a Church of England school, its vision and ethos fits perfectly with that of our Trust. We look forward to building an excellent partnership with Warkworth over the next few years and we are delighted they’ve chosen to join NCEAT”.
Governance at NCEA Trust
Northumberland Church of England Academy Trust is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.
The structure is made up of Members, Trustees and Governors.
At the beginning of September 2019, there were two Trust committees; Finance, Operations and Risk (FORC) and Achievement and Standards (ASC). In May 2020, Trustees agreed that with the introduction of local governing boards to Bishop’s and Castle in September 2019, the ASC should disband. The NCEA Endowment Trust (ET) is a registered charitable trust.
There are local governing bodies for Bishop’s Primary and Castle Schools and an Academy Improvement Board for Duke’s School (see explanatory note below). The Terms of reference for the local governing bodies are held within the Scheme of Delegation.
- Finance, Operations and Risk Committee Terms of Reference 2019/20
- Achievement and Standards Committee Terms of Reference 2019/20
- Northumberland CofE Academy Endowment Trust Terms of Reference 2019/20
- Academy Improvement Board (Duke’s) Terms of Reference 2019/20
- Register of Member and Trustee Business/Pecuniary Interests 2019/20
- Register of Executive Leadership Team Business/Pecuniary Interests 2019/20
- Register of Members and Trustees 2019/20
- Trustees Attendance Register 2018/19
- Articles of Association – adopted by Special Resolution April 2019
- Annual Accounts as at 31 August 2019
- Annual Accounts as at 31 August 2018
- Annual Accounts as at 31 August 2017
- Funding Agreement – including Supplemental Funding Agreements for Bishop’s Primary School, Castle School and Duke’s Secondary School
- Scheme of Delegation reviewed 10/12/2019
The Members, Trustees and Committees are given below:
|Rachel Scheffer||Appointed by Newcastle Diocesan Board of Education|
|Dennis Handley||Representing the Bishop of Newcastle|
|Peter Robinson||Representing Newcastle Diocesan Board of Education|
|Rory Wilson||Appointed by Newcastle Diocesan Board of Education|
|in consultation with Northumberland Estates|
|John Brearley||Chair of Governors|
|John Brearley||Chair, Member appointed|
|Richard Bishopp||Member appointed|
|Martin Browell||Parent Elected|
|Alex Cox||Member appointed|
|Paul Johnson||Member appointed|
|John Marshall||Vice Chair, Member appointed|
|Mina Munns||Member appointed|
|Stephen Purvis||Member appointed|
|Stephen Purvis||Chair of FORC|
|Alison Alden||Chief Financial Officer (non-voting)|
|Alex Cox||Chair of Endowment Trust|
|Alan Hardie||CEO/Accounting Officer (non-voting)|
Disbanded in May 2020
|John Marshall||Trustee (Chair)|
|Dave Cookson||Commissioner for Secondary Education, Northumberland County Council|
|Alan Hardie||Trustee and CEO|
|Paul Rickeard||Director of Education, Newcastle Diocese|
|Rachel Mays||English specialist support|
The NCEA Trust Board agreed to form Local Governing Bodies (LGBs) for Bishop’s Primary School and Castle School. What this means is that Bishop’s and Castle each have a governing body which focuses on the individual school. The LGBs are accountable for their decisions to the Trust Board. The first meetings of the LGBs took place in the spring term 2020.
|The Chair of the Board of Trustees, John Brearley, may be contacted by email at email@example.com or in writing:|
|The Board of Trustees|
|c/o Northumberland Church of England Academy Trust|
|Josephine Butler Campus|
Alternatively, Trustees may be contacted via Lesley Dalby, Governance Manager, on 01670 816111 ext 368